User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is 1200 calories a day too restrictive?

I know going beneath 1200 calories a day will send your body into starvation mode, but is aiming for just over 1200 calories a little too restrictive, especially if you are working out?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on what your BMR is. In my opinon, you should try to get at least a couple hundred more than your BMR to have energy for your everyday daily actions.

3. Likes Monique Seibel liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That will depend largely on things like your current weight, height, body type, and BMR. You must figure what your base minimum caloric intake should be and then work from there. Consult your doctor if you are not sure and too few calories can harm you in the long run.

5. Likes Monique Seibel liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarhermit View Post
    Depends on what your BMR is. In my opinon, you should try to get at least a couple hundred more than your BMR to have energy for your everyday daily actions.
    I agree with this. I wasn't losing any weight when I was eating 1200 calories. It didn't make any sense. Then, I stumbled across some articles about BMR and did some research. I discovered I wasn't eating enough calories to fuel my body with all the workouts I was doing. Once I increased my calories, I started losing 1-2 pounds a week. I would have never believed it had it not worked for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think as long as you don't feel hungry you'll be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a cookie cutter answer.

I highly suggest watching this:

http://www.biolayne.com/nutrition/bi...abolic-damage/

It's almost half an hour long, but it's well worth it. (Dr.) Layne Norton is an incredibly smart/talented guy if you haven't read any of his stuff in the past.
    I Teach Math: Form + ROM > Weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the link. I did watch the video and it was quite helpful. I know I'm not working out anywhere near the level of the people he is talking about, but it is still quite disconcerting. And some of the women he described were eating under 1200 even, which seems crazy given the amount they workout! Nonetheless, the video makes me instantaneously want to at least add at least 200 more calories a day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think 1200 calories is on the low side especially if you are exercising everyday also. But It will make you lose a lot of weight though. Give it a try and see if you can handle it for a week. If it works out good then you can continue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1200 is quite low, I would experiment with to see if you can adjust to it easily if not then you'd have to come up with a different plan. Make sure you are calculating in all of the factors to amount your calories and add a few extra to make up for the energy you might lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again for all the continued responses! I also wonder if it might be better to stagger my calories. For example, eat 1200 one day, 1400 the next, maybe even 1500 if I've been extremely active.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why don't you just calculate your calorie intake using one of the numerous calculators out there? That will give you an idea of what you should be eating. 1200 does seem excessive, but only because my maintenance is around 2300.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a Body Media Fit Link armband at the beginning of the month. I got it on sale for $100 and the first 3 months of service for free ($7/month after that). It's not just pocket change, but it's not all that expensive, really. It's 90% accurate at measuring your caloric expenditure.

On a day when I was sick and was in bed for a long time and mostly in my recliner the rest of the day, I still burned around 3,000 calories. Granted, I'm much larger than you, but still, that should give a little insight into what your body is burning. I think a TON of people out there are undereating for what they're doing and it's having adverse effects on their metabolisms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't you want to step down to a super-low calorie diet like that? If you're eating somewhere around 3,000 calories a day, I'd assume that there would be some detrimental effects if you suddenly switched to 1,200 per day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to keep track of the calories I take in on an app on my phone. I usually try to stay around 1400 myself to keep myself in a healthy area, and also to lose weight. I don't always hit the mark, but I don't want to continuously fall below so that I won't go into starvation mode.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it really depends on your body. I have done the 1500 calorie thing and it worked out great. I shed a ton of weight quickly, but I was constantly hungry!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been experimenting since Christmas with different levels of calorie intakes for my weight by BMR is 2200 cals so I dropped my cals to1800 to give myself a 400 cal deficit, and struggled to lose 1lbs a week, after several weeks of no weight loss or changes in body fat levels I have now dropped to 1400 cals and have a re feed day on a Saturday, so far the scales and body fat have started to move again. I think we are all different and we have to figure out what works for you as an individual.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will be dragging @$$ all day, foggy headed and hungry, you have to take a multivitamin, I recommend Rainbowlights certified organics multivitamin, it's like $20 a month. As long as you take the multivitamin, it is safe to restrict your diet that low. And to those of you who said you weren't losing weight because you weren't eating enough that is b.s., at the end of the day weight loss is simply calories consumed vs calories burned, the reason you weren't losing weight is because your body/mind couldn't handle the deficit which caused you to binge/cheat eating more calories than you would if you provided the proper nutrition through the day.

Thread Information