User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poppy Seeds - is there a benefit?

Okay, just before everybody thinks that I am a crack addict or something, I want to clarify that I am just asking out of curiosity. :P
    A few years ago, when I started doing sports, I used to put approx. 5-10 grams of poppy seeds into my evening cottage cheese meal - out of a habit and because I like cakes and pastries made with poppy seeds in my childhood (ah, those good times). Today I was shopping and happend to pass by the bakery section. Long story, made short I ended up buying a package (200 grams) of those stuff.

Now I am asking: is there any reported benefit and/or downside effect from small consumption? Whether in sports, sleeping / regeneration or metabolism? There is a lot of qualitiy fat in those suckers afterall. A short (but aimless) research on PubMed just brought me to one not so interesting study:

Nutritional properties of poppyseed oil relative to some other oils.

Abstract
    Male Wistar rats were fed a purified basal diet with 20% lard and corn oil (3:1), sunflower oil, poppyseed oil, low-erucic rapeseed oil from Brassica napus, cultivar Tower, or mixtures of these oils, for 1 or 26 weeks. None of the hearts exhibited lipidosis at 1 week. At 26 weeks, the level of serum triglycerides was higher in rats fed the mixture of lard and corn oil than in those fed only vegetable oil, and the incidence of cardiac necrosis and fibrosis was higher in rats fed the rapeseed oil than in the other animals. Cardiac phospholipids in rats fed the rapeseed oil contained an elevated level of omega 3 docosahexaenoic acid, particularly in phosphatidylethanolamine. Poppyseed oil exhibited properties similar to those of sunflower oil, was absorbed as well as olive oil, and appeared to be a promising oil for human consumption.

Source: here
    Well, this study isn't made with humans and I certain don't have poppy seed oil (just the plain seeds). Is ist safe to put it in the last evening meal as a dessert and then go to (a hopeful decent) sleep?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are great on lemon poundcake...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benson View Post
    They are great on lemon poundcake...
    True story, but I figured that out already, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, i am agree with benson.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is just a little issue that is making me confused. But I'm curious about that. It can be considered
    disgusting. Should I do or not?
    If the tolerate with me! :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't recommend sunflower oil for consumption. It is another industrial seed oil high in omega-6 and probably rancid before it enters your body. Olive oil is good but coconut oil is even better. Another healthy oil to cook with is red palm oil, packed full of antioxidants and saturated fat. Tropical oils are the way to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, according to this article http://www.livestrong.com/article/178104-are-there-any-side-effects-of-eating-poppy-seeds), eating poppy seeds in large quantities can lead to impaired consciousness, lightheadedness and complications with the respiratory and cardiovascular system.

But I remember I've eaten a lot of pastry with poppy seeds as a child.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, I've never heard any positive or negative feedback effects or benefits from poppy seeds. But adding a little to your cottage cheese should be fine it it makes you happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Poppy seeds eaten in large quantities can lead to impaired consciousness' - sounds cool, haha, I wonder what constitutes large quantities. I suppose you would need to consume a ridiculous amount of poppy seeds to get high.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eating small quantities of it has resulted in false positives when being tested for drugs. There have been several cases where employees were dismissed from their jobs because they tested positive for drugs after eating bread with poppy seeds on them. If I were you I'd stay clear of poppy seeds when your company's annual physical exams take place.

eMedical, Inc. 1522 Dogwood Dr Elkhart, IN 46514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poppy seeds are kidney-shaped, and have a blue-gray colour and are used in various baked goods, salad dressings and West Asian cuisine. Poppy seeds have a crunchy texture and are a good source of protein, fibre, calcium, fat and minerals. These tiny seeds are very nutritious.

Thread Information