User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I often hear about Calorie restriction / good nutrition being the #1 in anti-aging. Some say that's due to keeping your glucose levels between 70 to 85mg/dl, under control, staying away from high glucose levels. Others say it's mainly due to the selection of the food (antioxidants), and some say both. Whatever. Obviously, just eat right.

But my question is, if you're injecting insulin or taking an OTC insulin mimetic / Anabolic Pump, Glycobol, P-slin, etc, before carb meals what happens to your levels?. Do they go up like they would without using it? Or does it control it? I guess I'm asking, what's the point of these before meals besides the obvious transporting glucose to muscles for body composition? Do they follow the theory of glucose aging as well?

More concerned about the healthy aging aspect of it, oppose to bodybuilding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default About: Using Insulin and The Glucose Theory of Aging

If you're injecting insulin before carb meals, or any kind of meal, of course your glucose level will be LESS THAN it would have been otherwise, or depending on how long BEFORE you ate your meal, perhaps it will go as high as it would have gone without it, but it will DROP FASTER once the insulin is in action. It takes ABOUT 45 minutes after you have injected for the insulin to start dropping blood glucose. And it also takes about 20 or 30 minutes for the food you eat to get into your blood and raise blood glucose. Ideally, you would inject 45 minutes before you eat, so that the insulin is dropping your blood sugar about the time that you eat. This is not always possible, nor is it easy to do unless you plan way ahead. I don't like to plan way ahead. I just inject, a few minutes before I KNOW I am going to eat, or a few minutes after I already know I have eaten.

So... For example... if your blood sugar is at 90 and you inject insulin at 12:00 o'clock and suppose your blood glucose would have risen to 130 mg/dl (or 150, or 180...). If the dose of insulin is enough, and if you eat at 12:01 then 20 minutes later your blood sugar starts to rise... but it takes about an hour to reach the highest peak...

At 12:45 the food is pushing blood sugar UP and the insulin is pushing blood sugar DOWN faster than the food is pushing UP... So, perhaps your blood sugar got to 110 instead of 130... (or 150, or 180...) By 1:30 your blood sugar is below 100 mg/dl.

But in the same example, if you inject insulin at 11:15 and you eat at 12:01 then your blood sugar might not even go above 100 at all. This is ideal, but since I don't like to PLAN at what time I am going to eat, I just inject as in example 1, and it is "good enough" for me.

Dr. Bernstein, however, who is a doctor and a Diabetic Type 1 and he is the Authority on this, he would say that the second is correct, and the first is not correct. I agree with him, but I still inject when I know I am about to eat, or soon after I have eaten...

By the way... I am not a diabetic but I do use insulin, and I use it precisely to keep my blood glucose between 70 and 100 as much of the time as I can. NOBODY KNOWS if this will result in a longer lifespan, but I THINK it results in a longer HEALTHSPAN, ie, I am 71 years "old" and I have taken about 2000 doses of insulin per year for 15 years. I have also checked my blood glucose levels about 2000 times per year, for 15 years.

(I take a dose in the morning and a dose at night of SLOW ACTING - LONG LASTING "Lantus"... and I take a correct tiny dose of FAST ACTING-SHORT LASTING "Humalog" or "Humulin "R" just before almost every meal. So even if I do not inject when I eat, say, an ice cream, the "long lasting" insulin is in my blood all day long and helps to keep the ice cream from causing my blood glucose to go as high as it would have gone.)

So... 365 days x 24 hours x 15 years = 131,400 hours that I am certain that my blood sugar has been about 30 points LESS THAN IT WOULD HAVE BEEN, even if sometimes it is above 100, it still was less than it would have been. That is A WHOLE POINT LESS HbA1c, which is HUGE.

So, if high blood sugar is BAD for diabetics, I am betting that high blood sugar is ALSO BAD for non-diabetics, and so, in theory, I think that the "healthy aging aspect" of my experiment is that I will probably reach "old age" in better shape than others who do NOT use insulin to keep blood glucose under control. (Or, is "age 71" ALREADY supposed to be "old age" ???)

I wrote this "The Glucose Theory of Aging" in 2001: http://www.rajeun.net/glucose.html

Here is a very good paper, written in 2004 by some scholars in India, which says a lot of what I said, in a more scholarly manner, with a long bibliography to back it up. I suggest you should download and read the full PDF, which is free. It backs up what I wrote in 2001.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile...e203c20216.pdf

The bottom line is : I don't care what is your REASON to keep your blood sugar levels controlled... body building, or for good health, or because you are a diabetic. KEEP YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS CONTROLLED, BETWEEN 70 AND 100 mg/dl as much as you can, for as long as you can, every day.

And I also do not care HOW DO YOU DO IT. Do it "by hook, or by crook". I do it "by crook" that is, I am not a diabetic but I do use insulin, every day, several times every day. (note: I am not a doctor, so do not do what I do. Do not use insulin unless you know how to use insulin correctly.)

You can and you should eat correctly, and do exercise, and check your blood sugar levels several times each day so that you will learn how the food you eat affects your blood sugar, so that you will avoid the foods that shoot your blood sugar UP.

And certainly, if you use insulin, for whichever reason, you should also check your blood sugar levels often.

- Ellis Toussier August, 2016
    Last edited by Ellis2ca; August 30th, 2016 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added a paragraph

Thread Information