User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sent away for a program for my son. He plays baseball and this program is designed to help increase arm strength so a player can throw faster or farther. There is a video that shows proper techiques and drills which would help him, but also included is a set of rubber cables so you can go through a throwing motion with added resistence to increase arm strength. My question is, can a 9 yr old increase his functional strength by using resistence type exercises. I think these may help him in developing a form of muscular co-ordination between all the various rotator cuff and shoulder muscles, but I wonder about actual muscular strength for a boy who hasn't reached puberty yet. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 9 years old he can increase strength much more than muscle mass. This is because strenght is much more dependent on neurological factors (motor learning/muscle recruitment) whereas muscle mass is more dependent on hormonal factors. I'd be careful about getting too specific with his strength training at this point.

Son, You Just Gotta Run Where They Ain't - Vince Lombardi
    Higher-Faster-Sports.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just make sure he learns how to throw properly. Don't let him pitch! If he does, monitor him very closely and don't let him go very many innings. My arm is messed up from pitching too much when I was younger.
    I pooted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jon,

Tudor bompa has a book out for strength training for kids. I haven't read it, but it may be worth looking into:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...73600212X&itm=4

ABOUT THE BOOK

* From the Publisher

* Total Training for Young Champions provides coaches, instructors, teachers, and parents of potential future sports stars the best conditioning advice and training programs for establishing an overall fitness base and maximizing athletic development from ages 6 to 18. Over 300 exercises are included to safely and effectively increase a young athlete's coordination, flexibility, speed, endurance, and strength.

* Synopsis

* Few athletes will be among the best in their sport at such a young age as Martina Hingis and Tiger Woods. But accelerated athletic development is now possible because of better, smarter training starting at an early age.

Total Training for Young Champions provides coaches, instructors, teachers, and parents of potential future sports stars the best conditioning advice and training programs for establishing an overall fitness base and maximizing athletic development from the ages of 6 to 18.

Over 300 exercises are included to safely and effectively increase a young athlete's

coordination,

flexibility,

speed,

endurance, and

strength.

Tudor Bompa, one of the world's foremost sports conditioning experts who has trained 11 Olympic medalists, presents a safe, proven training regimen geared specifically to three distinct developmental phases. He also offers sport-specific training programs in 10 sports, including baseball, basketball, ice hockey, football, gymnastics, soccer, swimming, tennis, volleyball, and track and field.

Total Training for Young Champions is the comprehensive guide to developing the next generation of superior athletes. Use it to boost the physical tools every young athlete needs to succeed-and shine-in sports.
    Words are hypnotic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kelly, thanks. I'm careful in making this fun for him, for instance, we walk around the yard while he throws a 9lb. med. ball. We'll use different types of throws, such as a swinging throw which would work the same trunk muscles that would come into swinging a bat.

Rich, I would never let him pitch because of the very reasons you give. I'll pm you-like to talk about your baseball "career".

Dio, thanks. I've checked bookstores to get baseball books geared toward youth skills training, but never saw this one. Looks good, I've seen other books by Bompa and they always seem very informative, this one looks very good also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John, who's program did you get?
    Us your fucking brain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin' date='May 10 2003, 05:37 AM
    John, who's program did you get?
    Zep, it just arrived today and I haven't looked at the video yet, but it's called "Thrive on Throwing" by Alan Jaeger. The program was created by Jaeger and written by him and Brady LaMotte. The cover says the program is used by the K.C. Royals, the U.C.L.A. Bruins, and hundreds of individual players. I know in the ads on the website(www.baseballtips.com) that I subscribe to, Barry Zito recommends it. The video cover says that" the program is designed around three major principles: Arm Care, Throwing Mechanics and Long toss".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reinforce the shoulder

do a lot of correct stretching and rotator cuff work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, everyone. I ordered the book that Dio mentioned by Tudor Bompa and it just came in the other day. It's great and it covers young athletes from 6 yrs. old all the way into their early 20's. I would highly recommend it to anybody involved in sports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke with our coach and he adviced Batting Tee for my son . He says this will greatly help them improve the mechanics of beginning batter before they add the timing of the swing into the equation. I searched it on the net and reailized that it is an important equipment for beginners .

Thread Information