Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just found out Haitian's eat mud. WTF? ya, rly

talk about horrible macros

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frangible @ Jan 16 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I suspect people give a shit about Haiti for a few reasons:
    1. White guilt over Katrina, however misplaced
    2. Proximity to the US and its former territories (ie, Dominican Republic)</div>

Wrong on both counts. Its got something to do with scale of devastation.
    ------

These ideas are released under a Creative Commons Share and Share alike license

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ATB @ Jan 16 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wrong on both counts. Its got something to do with scale of devastation.</div>

Moar devastating than a genocide? O RLY?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>"Somebody wanted to carjack him," said Mr Jean, who arrived in the city on Thursday and put his staff to work clearing bodies. "Two shots."</div>

At first when reading this, I wasn't sure if the guy who wanted to carjack him was named Two Shots, or if the attacker fired two rounds from his weapon.
    <span style="color:#660000"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow">"... </span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#8b0000">fresh bread, which deforms elastically is not frangible." --Wikipedia</span></span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People hate to admit they are manipulated by the media but they totally are. Where is all the compassion for the 101 other disasters of equal or greater scope than the haitian one? Those other things weren't splashed over the front pages every single day stoking up white guilt. The media has decided we will pay great attention to haiti and send our money there. Naturally the liberals obey and fall in line. Then they try to bully the rest of us into going along with it. The politicians can't send the money fast enough.

I thought we were in a recession? I thought we were borrowing money left and right to get ourselves out of the hole? I thought many reputable economists said there is no way for us to get out of the debt we have brought on ourselves? I thought we had lots of poor people over here, lots of homeless, lots of sick people with no insurance and so on. Is someone going to tell me all those problems have been solved and we now have a surplus to distribute to where ever the media directs us? No, the problems are not solved. We have homeless from katrina, we have lots of poor people who starve and die in the streets every day in every major city. Are you telling me the haitians are more important than that? That we should let our people die and rush aid over there? Why?
    "A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." - G. Gordon Liddy

Purus Labs Representative
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maxhealth @ Jan 17 2010, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Those other things weren't splashed over the front pages every single day stoking up white guilt.

I thought we were in a recession? I thought we were borrowing money left and right to get ourselves out of the hole? I thought many reputable economists said there is no way for us to get out of the debt we have brought on ourselves? I thought we had lots of poor people over here, lots of homeless, lots of sick people with no insurance and so on. Is someone going to tell me all those problems have been solved and we now have a surplus to distribute to where ever the media directs us? No, the problems are not solved. We have homeless from katrina, we have lots of poor people who starve and die in the streets every day in every major city. Are you telling me the haitians are more important than that? That we should let our people die and rush aid over there? Why?</div>

Shit,I actually agree with this post.

I'm white and don't feel guilty for not being all that concerned over the problems that Haitians are currently seeing.

With the current problems that the US is facing,I strongly feel that we should stop with the big brother nonsense in Haiti as well as the fucking Middle East.It's by far in our best interest to get out of all foreign countries' affairs but people seem to think this view point is unreal and callous or some such shit.

Slighly off topic but anywhooser....fuck all of those camel jockeys and let them continue to kill each other in the name of Allah,til the end of time.The lot of them are no more than crazy sand niggers who will never cease to ignore the reason that the US is vainly trying to push in favor of the Allah flavored insanity they've been choking themselves on for centuries.If every woman in my country was forced to cover their entire body with robes with slits for the eyes,I'd be out of my mind as well.
    Pile of data cannot be equated to the irrefutable truth, no more than a mountain of shit can be scaled to bring one closer to enlightenment.

No bro-science at Purus because we heart Pubmed and all its peer reviewed studies just too damn much to cheat you with overblown hype.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting them out of their misery with a few nukes would be a good long term investment.
    $5 off at iherb.com referral code: REV730

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thomas Gabriel @ Jan 17 2010, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Putting them out of their misery with a few nukes would be a good long term investment.</div>

LOL

Oh my
    [03:14] FunkOdyssey: dude the only reason nazi's didnt put blacks in concentration camps is because there werent any in germany.
    [03:14] FunkOdyssey:if there were they would have put them in before the jews.
    [02:15] Sanction no, I whipped out my penis and bludgeoned them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Word.

He just took it up a notch.

Right-Wing Terrorist Bot 2.010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further, it seems to me everyone is donating money to the wrong organizations.

The chief relief organization in Haiti is the United States Navy. Not the Red Cross, et al.

Your generous donation of $50.00 could help supply a Nimitz-class nuclear powered aircraft carrier for about 1/20th of a second.

[attachment=7757:ifyoucantgo.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    <span style="color:#660000"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow">"... </span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#8b0000">fresh bread, which deforms elastically is not frangible." --Wikipedia</span></span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, Google Images isn't indexing defenselink.mil very well anymore [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Oh well, standard America-fuck-yeah gallery follows.

[attachment=7761:100115_N_6006S_070.jpg]
    GET TO DA CHOPPA!

[attachment=7760:100115_G_0000X_003.jpg]
    CVN-70, not nearly as cool as CVN-76.

[attachment=7759:100114_N_5244H_020.jpg][attachment=7758:100114_N_1831S_003.jpg]
    Don't worry, America's sending HOVERCRAFT.

[attachment=7762:100116_N_6006S_059.jpg]
    subtle, guys. subtle.
    Attached Images Attached Images
      To view attachments your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frangible @ Jan 17 2010, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Further, it seems to me everyone is donating money to the wrong organizations.

The chief relief organization in Haiti is the United States Navy. Not the Red Cross, et al.</div>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xo-68uESk

EDIT: I'm sure Par will appreciate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5RuYga6_v4
    [03:14] FunkOdyssey: dude the only reason nazi's didnt put blacks in concentration camps is because there werent any in germany.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Frangible @ Jan 17 2010, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Man, Google Images isn't indexing defenselink.mil very well anymore [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Oh well, standard America-fuck-yeah gallery follows.

[attachment=7761:100115_N_6006S_070.jpg]
    GET TO DA CHOPPA!

[attachment=7760:100115_G_0000X_003.jpg]
    CVN-70, not nearly as cool as CVN-76.

[attachment=7759:100114_N_5244H_020.jpg][attachment=7758:100114_N_1831S_003.jpg]
    Don't worry, America's sending HOVERCRAFT.

[attachment=7762:100116_N_6006S_059.jpg]
    subtle, guys. subtle.</div>

Cccooooooommbooo bbrreeaakkkeeerr1!!!!

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos.do?...9099&page=1

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ubiyca @ Jan 17 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xo-68uESk

EDIT: I'm sure Par will appreciate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5RuYga6_v4</div>
    btw, where do you find these videos, and I'm not sure I understand your fascination with them

WORMGERM (2 hours ago) Show Hide
    Marked as spam
    You fucking scum you make your money from Tax payers with your phony illness and all you do is donate is $5. I am sure the people of Haiti could really use a can crush right about now I AM SURE IT WILL MAKE EVERYTHING ALL BETTER.

Beebee890 is scum and should be banned from breathing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This guy feels the same way I do about Haiti. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhOTzWVYRPc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, how many refugees to yall think we'll take in??

1 million...?

Right-Wing Terrorist Bot 2.010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all about my cake, I'm tryin' to marry betty crocker

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So wouldn't this be a good reason to donate to Haiti? That way they stay there and don't become refugees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The media is gearing up for not just a ton of aid but to let them come over here and stay here. Brace yourself for more of this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20100115/wl_t...953494195426200

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>After the Quake: Should Haitian Refugees Be Given Special Status?
    Time.com

US grants Haitian illegals temporary asylum AFP/Getty Images/File – The Department of Homeland Security main complex is shown January 8 in Washington, DC. The US government …

* U.S. Military Looks To Instill Order In Haiti CBS 2 New York
    * Scouten In Haiti: Relief Still Not Evident Earthquakes Video:Scouten In Haiti: Relief Still Not Evident CBS4 Miami

By CARMEN GENTILE Carmen Gentile – Fri Jan 15, 4:45 pm ET

Even before the devastating Jan. 12 earthquake, Haiti was an economic and security nightmare - abysmally poor, politically unstable, the threat of gang violence continually beneath the surface. And yet, unlike undocumented immigrants from similarly troubled countries, those from the island nation detained by U.S. immigration officials have quickly been ordered to be deported back. Now, the catastrophe may lead the Obama Administration to reconsider the controversial policy. Indeed, soon after the earthquake, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano imposed a temporary halt to deportations, allowing 30,000 Haitians with expulsion orders to remain in the U.S. (See TIME's exclusive pictures of the earthquake's destruction.)

Until the President decides otherwise, however, the Temporary Protected Status (TPS) that grants a semblance of asylum to migrants from six countries will still exclude those from Haiti. According to the Department of Homeland Security, TPS is granted to "aliens in the United States who are temporarily unable to safely return to their home country because of ongoing armed conflict, an environmental disaster, or other extraordinary and temporary conditions." Much of those conditions are historical: immigrants from El Salvador and Nicaragua, for example, enjoy the status because of natural disasters in the 1990</div>
    "A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." - G. Gordon Liddy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's some of PubMed's finest:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Treating Haitian patients: key cultural aspects.Desrosiers A, St Fleurose S.

Harvard Medical School, Cambridge, MA, USA.

The Haitian community in the United States is growing steadily. They make up a significant portion of many cities. As a group, Haitian immigrants are a challenge to mental health professionals. Their view and concepts of the world are unique. Non-Haitian clinicians need to be knowledgeable of the culture in order to provide competent care. The goal of this article is to help clinicians understand aspects of Haitian culture that will facilitate mental health treatment. A historical perspective is offered since the history of Haiti has shaped society, families and therefore individuals. The role of the supernatural is addressed to provide a better understanding of the Haitian psyche. The political and economic climate in Haiti has led to a significant increase in the number of Haitians migrating to the United States. Haitians are faced with the challenge of adapting to a new culture; they experience stress and become vulnerable to mental illness. As a result, there is increasing demand for mental health services. This article highlights aspects of Haitian culture relevant to mental health clinicians. It provides an overview of Haitians' attitudes toward mental health and the utilization of psychotherapy. Concepts relevant to Voodoo beliefs and practices are discussed since these beliefs can shape attitudes, and compliance with treatment. Recommendations for engaging and maintaining Haitian clients in psychotherapy are made. Case vignettes are provided for illustration.

PMID: 12520887 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]</div>

Translation: how to NOT get a voodoo curse placed upon you by your patient.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Toxicologic aspects of voodoo in Haiti.Craan AG.

Département de Médecine du Travail et d'Hygiène du Milieu, Université de Montréal, Québec, Canada.

Voodoo is a folk religion that emerged from the interaction of West African ethnotheologies with European Christian rituals. Haitian Voodoo priests control two major practices which might be of interest to toxicologists: healing and poisoning. Intoxications arising from therapeutic activities pertaining to this cult are of the same kind as those encountered in the practice of Modern Medicine. Remedies used in Voodoo originate generally from plants, as do most prescription drugs; however, the poisons are extracted from both plant and animal tissues, then administered to intended victims as a means of punishment established by a clandestine justice system. The present paper reviews recent attempts at analyzing some of the most lethal Voodoo poisons which appear to induce catalepsy. Although tetrodotoxin was singled out as the probable active ingredient, chromatographic analyses of such poisons as well as the presence of yet unidentified neurotoxicants in Caribbean fish and amphibians familiar to Voodoo practitioners suggest otherwise. To gain more insight into this problem, it is proposed that chemical analyses and toxicological studies be carried out on each ingredient individually, then on combinations of ingredients contained in these Voodoo potions. Such a strategy could help discriminate between active and inactive components and focus on the real toxic elements.

PMID: 3077265 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]</div>

Fuck protein folding, computer binding simulations, and drug discovery... there's some times you just need to kick it oldschool and go see what the locals are smoking. Then patent it, and sell it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The ethnobiology of the Haitian zombi.

Davis EW.

For many years students of Haitian society have suggested that there is an ethnopharmacological basis for the notorious zombies, the living dead of peasant folklore. The recent surfacing of three zombies, one of whom may represent the first potentially verifiable case, has focused scientific attention on the reported zombi drug. The formula of the poison was obtained at four widely separated localities in Haiti. The consistent ingredients include one or more species of puffer fish (Diodon hystrix, Diodon holacanthus or Sphoeroides testudineus) which contain tetrodotoxins, potent neurotoxins fully capable of pharmacologically inducing the zombi state. The ingredients, preparation and method of application are presented. The symptomology of tetrodotoxication as described in the biomedical literature is compared with the constellations of symptoms recorded from the zombies in Haiti. The cosmological rationale of zombies within the context of Voodoo theology is described. Preliminary laboratory tests are summarized.

PMID: 6668953 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]</div>

God, I love that study.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Evidence for the presence of tetrodotoxin in a powder used in Haiti for zombification.

Benedek C, Rivier L.

Institut de Médecine Légale, Université de Lausanne, Switzerland.

A powder prepared by Haitian voodoo sorcerers for the making of zombis was extracted with acetic acid, the extract concentrated and applied to a small cation exchange column followed by elution with water and then acetic acid. The water and acetic acid eluents were analysed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. The analyses indicated the presence of an alkaline degradation product of tetrodotoxin, namely 2-amino-6-hydroxymethyl-8-hydroxyquinazoline, after base treatment, and of tetrodotoxin and an isomer on direct thermospray mass spectral activity.

PMID: 2728032 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]</div>

Voodoo-- backed by SCIENCE!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Plants of Haiti used as antifertility agents.

Weniger B, Haag-Berrurier M, Anton R.

Haitian empirical medicine sprang from both European (16th to 19th century) and African (especially voodoo) traditional therapies. The use of medicinal herbs is highly developed. Our purpose was to list the plants held to be antifertility agents in the island. We identified about twenty species more or less currently used by the women as abortifacients or emmenagogues. The chemistry and active components of a few species are well-known. However, for most of them, some were partially studied, and no relation could be established between their chemical composition and their potential activities, and the rest are chemically unknown. We chemically screened extracts of Casearia ilicifolia, Eleutherine bulbosa, Rhoeo spathacea and Stemodia durantifolia, and identified flavonoids, triterpenes and sterols in the leaves of C. ilicifolia, and naphthoquinones, and a new anthraquinone, anthracene-9,10-dione-1,5-diol-4-methoxy-3-methyl-2-carboxylic acid methyl ester, in the bulbs of E, bulbosa. R. spathacea showed a stimulative activity on mouse uterus. Antifertility screening tests of C. ilicifolia and E. bulbosa showed activity in rats, but also probably toxicity.</div>

Are you gonna turn a voodoo priest's paperwork down?? I mean, sure.... if you want to be an impotent zombie.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moar from the true-but-lulzy category:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wikipedia)</div><div class='quotemain'>Cité Soleil, Haiti’s largest slum in the capital of Port-au-Prince, has been called "the most dangerous place on Earth" by the United Nations.
    In October 2006, a group of heavily armed Haitian police were able to enter Cité Soleil for the first time in three years and were able to remain one hour as armored UN troops patrolled the area. Since this is where the armed gangs take their kidnap victims, the Haitian police's ability to penetrate the area even for such a short time was seen as a sign of progress.
    in late January 2007, the United States announced that it would contribute $20 million to create jobs in Cité Soleil.
    On July 28, 2007, Edmond Mulet, the UN Special Representative in Haiti, warned of a sharp increase in lynchings and other mob attacks in Haiti. He said MINUSTAH, the (United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti) which now has over 9,000 troops there, will launch a campaign to remind people lynchings are a crime.</div>

I guess they hadn't gotten the UN's memo either.

Coincidentally, the pictures of the area from 2002 look remarkably like the post-quake pics.

edit: moar!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>According to a Washington Times, article of April, 2004[35]

Mr. Aristide, who accuses the United States and France of conspiring to force him out of power, filed a lawsuit in Paris last week accusing unnamed French officials of 'death threats, kidnapping and sequestration' in connection with his flight to Africa.

The Bush administration insists that Mr. Aristide had personally asked for help and voluntarily boarded a U.S. plane. 'He drafted and signed his letter of resignation all by himself and then voluntarily departed with his wife and his own security team,' Mr. Powell said.</div>

Well, you'll have to forgive me if I don't take Colin Powell's word to mean a whole lot these days, but accusing George W. Bush of conspiring with France? Bahahaha.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>In September 2003, Amiot Metayer was found dead, his eyes shot out and his heart cut out, most likely the result of machete-inflicted wounds. He was, prior to his death, the leader of the Gonaives gang known as "The Cannibal Army." After his death, his brother Buteur Metayer swore vengeance against those he felt responsible for Amiot's death—namely, President Jean-Bertrand Aristide. Buteur took charge of the Cannibal Army and promptly renamed it the National Revolutionary Front for the Liberation of Haiti.</div>

Look, just because you're butthurt your brother died is no reason to stop being a cannibal and descend into... communism.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The US lawyer representing Aristide claimed that the rebellion was supported by the United States and included former death squad members.</div>

George W. Bush, infamous for giving FIM-92 Stinger missiles to The Cannibal Army.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>The force is composed of 8,940 military personnel and 3,711 police
    In 2004, UN peacekeepers stormed Cité Soleil in an attempt to gain control of the area and end the anarchy.
    In 2004, independent human rights organizations accused MINUSTAH and the Haitian National Police (HNP) of collaborating in numerous atrocities against civilians.</div>

Can we say, "epic fail"? The PMC Executive Outcomes killed 55,000 RUF insurgents in Sierra Leone with ~100 PMC soldiers and only 1 Mil Mi-24D Hind helicopter. The UN has better funding and equipment than EO did, over 100 times the manpower, and street gangs sure as hell aren't the RUF.

I don't think the UN could commit an atrocity if they tried.

Thread Information