User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect that 200-250g of protein a day was probably enough to maintain the musculature of ancestral humans who were living more the life if a long-distance runner than a bodybuilder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ancestral humans were also considerably smaller than people today. In large part for nutritional reasons of course, but a smaller body has fewer calorie requirements as a result. I imagine that what ancestral humans lived on versus what they would have thrived on weren't always synonymous. The more things change the more they stay the same.
    Kicking ass is my comfort food

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point, Jinx -- something that ties into the thread about "how strong was paleo man" (or something like that -- I think Gahan started it).

City of Our Lady of the Irreverent Taco in the Village of Los Angeles
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Benson @ Apr 17 2009, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Traditional diet...maybe its too late. I note that some of the recent studies on the Maasai show that they have adopted a lot of corn into their diet...</div>
    You might enjoy this, if you're not familiar with it:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=...big+fat+diet%22
    "I measure success by the degree to which I ruin other people's lives."
    --Fecal McAngry--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone taking into consideration the consumption of fat along with the protein (reason why we prefer whole milk to skim)? Maybe this has already been discussed and I missed it. The more I think about it the more I'm considering including some natty pb to my PWO shake.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More support for moderation in protein intake.

J Appl Physiol. 1992 Nov;73(5):1986-95.Click here to read Links
    Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes.
    Tarnopolsky MA, Atkinson SA, MacDougall JD, Chesley A, Phillips S, Schwarcz HP.

Department of Pediatrics, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Leucine kinetic and nitrogen balance (NBAL) methods were used to determine the dietary protein requirements of strength athletes (SA) compared with sedentary subjects (S). Individual subjects were randomly assigned to one of three protein intakes: low protein (LP) = 0.86 g protein.kg-1.day-1, moderate protein (MP) = 1.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1, or high protein (HP) = 2.40 g protein.kg-1.day-1 for 13 days for each dietary treatment. NBAL was measured and whole body protein synthesis (WBPS) and leucine oxidation were determined from L-[1-13C]leucine turnover. NBAL data were used to determine that the protein intake for zero NBAL for S was 0.69 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.41 g.kg-1.day-1. A suggested recommended intake for S was 0.89 g.kg-1.day-1 and for SA was 1.76 g.kg-1.day-1. For SA, the LP diet did not provide adequate protein and resulted in an accommodated state (decreased WBPS vs. MP and HP), and the MP diet resulted in a state of adaptation [increase in WBPS (vs. LP) and no change in leucine oxidation (vs. LP)]. The HP diet did not result in increased WBPS compared with the MP diet, but leucine oxidation did increase significantly, indicating a nutrient overload. For S the LP diet provided adequate protein, and increasing protein intake did not increase WBPS. On the HP diet leucine oxidation increased for S. These results indicated that the MP and HP diets were nutrient overloads for S. There were no effects of varying protein intake on indexes of lean body mass (creatinine excretion, body density) for either group. In summary, protein requirements for athletes performing strength training are greater than for sedentary individuals and are above current Canadian and US recommended daily protein intake requirements for young healthy males.

PMID: 1474076

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, 1.8g/kg is the highest intake that I've seen evidence of benefits in athletes.

Although it should be adequate, WBPS < SMFSR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try and at least get my bodyweight in protein everyday. I've never noticed a difference in muscle gain by taking in more than 1.5 to 2 g per lb a day.

Side note, found a cool article about 75 different protein rich foods. http://dedicationtofitness.com/75-protein-rich-foods/ Has anyone tried ostrich meat?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take about 220 to 250 grams each day. I have 14% body fat and weigh around 158lbs. My trainer tells me that eating that much would be enough for me. If I take anything more than that then it might seriously affect my metabolic system leading to various digestion related problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to be into the whole 1gram per lb thing before, I completely snapped out of it when I switched to IF'ing and focusing more on detoxing and nutrition, I probably get anywhere from 40 to 70 grams per day purely from a vegetarian source now, only whey I have is with my post workout shakes. I know thats insanely low for the pro's. I just couldn't keep up with the insanity of trying to keep a protein count everyday, was bad for me socially too. Now...even though I get a fair bit less protein then I might need, I still dont lose muscle mass, and just upping my calories a bit, I start to thicken up pretty quick now too =) Would never go back to the 1 gram rule again purely because of insane counting everyday gets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad I ran into to this. By reading everyone's replies I think now I have a better understanding of protein and how much my body needs. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a great article as there are many people new to bodybuilding and already in bodybuilding who are misinformed about protein intake and how to work out their intake amount.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always go with eating as much protein as you need, but no more, as many fats, but no more and then the rest of your calories from carbs, as they are the best from of energy for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gorge myself with protein at every meal now. I'm trying to bulk up from 147 to 160 in the next month or so and I've gained four pounds in the last couple of weeks. I eat about five times a day, with protein pancakes in the morning, eggs and fish for the second meal, pasta and chicken for the third, rice and some sort of meat for the fourth, and a big glass of milk and Golean cereal at night. I'm not sure how many grams that is per day, but it's hopefully enough for me to reach my goal. I return to school soon so I may have to buy a protein powder to supplement my meals since school dining is so terrible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read about this before but not in this much detail. I'll keep this in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Benson. You define such a informative information. Your information is totally good and help to other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never carefully calculated content of daily protein intake, but I know the protein I take everyday is not enough, because I usually eat vegetable dish. I don't know whether I can get proteins from the vegetable dish? Or from what food can I get high-purity proteins?

Thread Information