User Tag List

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sleep to Grow - bodybuilders

Most bodybuilders know how important it is to get a good night’s sleep. It helps you regenerate in so many ways, from growth hormone release to energy recharging. The problem is, so many people have sleep disorders, and a lot of them don’t even know it.
    According to “Refuel: Bring Sleep Into Your Night” by Ashley Koff, R.D., and Kathy Kaehler, which appeared in the November/December ’11 Well Being Journal, “Sleep deprivation is epidemic. And let’s face it: When we’re sleep deprived and moody, and things don’t go our way, we can begin to go down that dreaded path that ends in depressive thoughts or even full-blown depression.”
    Your entire body will feel the repercussions of not getting enough sleep primarily due to a malfunction of your endocrine system—hormones go haywire, which is not good for bodybuilding, as testosterone and growth hormone plummet. Here is how the authors describe restful sleep:
    “As soon as you enter deep sleep, about 20 to 30 minutes after you first close your eyes, your pituitary gland releases high levels of growth hormone—the most it’s going to secrete in 24 hours. Growth hormone does more than just stimulate growth and cell reproduction; it also refreshes cells, restores skin’s elasticity and enhances the movement of amino acids through cell membranes…. Without adequate sleep, GH stays locked up in the pituitary, which negatively affects your proportion of fat to muscle.”
    You get more pulses of GH through the night, so if you aren’t sleeping soundly, your cortisol never drops as low as it should, and that undermines muscle growth and fat loss.
    Here are a few sleep tips from Koff and Kaehler:
    1) Get on schedule: Go to bed and wake up at the same time seven days a week.
    2) Cut the caffeine: Eight hours before bedtime should be the cutoff point.
    3) Limit alcohol intake: Don’t drink too late, or it will disrupt sleep patterns.
    4) Try deep breathing: Breathe deeply and slowly as you lie on your back with your eyes closed.
    5) Get up if you can’t sleep: If you don’t knock out within 20 minutes, go to a different, comfortable place with dim lights and read or do deep breathing exercises. After about 20 minutes try hitting the hay again.

http://www.ironmanmagazine.com/sleep-to-grow/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cut the caffeine: Eight hours before bedtime should be the cutoff point. ----- Well this one is bad for me.. i ve just started my second cup of coffee for today

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoe1991 View Post
    Cut the caffeine: Eight hours before bedtime should be the cutoff point. ----- Well this one is bad for me.. i ve just started my second cup of coffee for today
    That is correct, if we want to drink coffee, we should drink it a couple of hours before bed time, but there are times that caffeine could not affect to a certain individual during bed time, in fact they could sleep well when they drink coffee, but this only seldom happens. To have a good night sleep, maybe we should at least do things that could drain our energy or make our body somehow tired.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ian.delano View Post
    That is correct, if we want to drink coffee, we should drink it a couple of hours before bed time, but there are times that caffeine could not affect to a certain individual during bed time, in fact they could sleep well when they drink coffee, but this only seldom happens. To have a good night sleep, maybe we should at least do things that could drain our energy or make our body somehow tired.
    I generally don't have an issue with consuming caffeine or stimulants in the evening and having it affect my sleep. On rare occasions it's made it a bit more difficult to fall asleep, but not much.

Granted, I don't slam pre-workouts before bed or anything lol, but I do know people who can't even have anything up to 12 hours before they plan to go to bed; that would suck.
    I Teach Math: Form + ROM > Weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not a coffee-kisser and I have to say that people at the gym are envious of me because of this. I sleep for about 7 or 7 and a half hours each day and yes it has a great effect on my output. Research studies have shown again and again the the pituitary secretes the most of its hormones when we are asleep. Thus, the maximum amount of fiber repair takes place when you are asleep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I just read that sleep has a great effect in cutting down the visceral fat also. I have no idea how that happens but it was in the Daily the other day. I thought maybe I should share it here and see what everyone has to say here. Also I must point out that sleep has differential effects on muscle toning in males and females. Anyone heard of this before? I'll upload a picture of the report soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post Won! Will take into consideration.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold

How To Gain Muscle Fast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that I have read about a link between sleeping and building muscle not too long ago. I am not following a schedule when I sleep. It is something that I may have to change.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tikoun View Post
    I think that I have read about a link between sleeping and building muscle not too long ago. I am not following a schedule when I sleep. It is something that I may have to change.
    I think the reason why sleep contributes to muscle is the resting time and direct correlation where your muscles take to mend. Like how many proffessionals reccomend every other day excersises.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the basic principle is that your muscles repair and grow when you are asleep so the more sleep you get each day the better it is for you. i go with about 7-8 hours a day and I also take a short nap (30-40 minutes) during the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well this is good news, because I love and always make sure I get enough sleep. I might even border on getting too much sleep. However, I could improve my schedule, and going to bed and waking up at the same time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly follow all of these directions, but I will make sure to start falling asleep and waking up at the same time. If I wake up at 630 now, would it affect my body badly if all of a sudden I started waking up at 5, and went to sleep 1 hour and a half earlier?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It makes sense. Sleeping can do wonders for your body, it is one of the most important things. Nothing feels as nice as a good night's rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without sleep there is no way the body can repair itself, however it is important to note that teenagers should aim for at least ten hours, as their bodies are still developing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a very interesting post, and I learned a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started drinking caffeine, black coffee, for the first time a few weeks ago. I soon realise that it significantly disrupts my ability to fall asleep and the quality of my sleep. I have since cut out the coffee and my sleep is back to normal. It's a shame because I like drinking a cup but I value my sleep more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It Is Very interesting post SleepIs Very important For Every Person,Ever Person Use Coffee To Him Fresh our body , Because When A Man Feel Better, When Fulfil His Sleep And Mostly Efect To life.....................
    Tyler85

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you'd better eat less coffee, as coffee has caffeine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great article, insomnia can affect health and cause depression, I have experienced and I understand how it is.
    "Learn to be happy with what you have while you pursue all that you dream."

SAS Survival Handbook 3rd Edition
    - Organic Chemistry: A Mechanistic Approach

Thread Information