User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know there was a topic about this a while back, but couldn't find it. I'd like to see an update of what people are reading theses days, and any commentary on the selections, or any good recommendations.

Was thinking of picking up Spuerfreakonomics, I enjoyed Levitt's first attempt.

Right now reading:

Habitus-James Flint
    Inside-Kenneth J Harvey
    Ending Aging-Aubrey De Gray

Recently finished:

Outliers-Gladwell
    Bright Lights Big City-Jay McInerney
    Lunar Park- Bret Easton Ellis
    Drunkards Walk-Leonard Mlodinow

Any thoughts on those books, and, what are you freaks reading?

Body of Evidence Blog

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -HST

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently finished:

Myths, Lies & Downright Stupidity by John Stossel

The Vegetarian Myth by Lierre Keith

Both good reads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Currently working on:
    White Noise - Don Delillo

Lined up on the shelf:
    Freakonomics
    Mother Night - Vonnegut
    Slaughethouse-Five - Vonnegut
    Promised B that I'd read Atlas Shrugged at some point

Recently finished:
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the moment, the only thing I've been reading is a collection of shorts from H.P. Lovecraft.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dashforce @ Dec 21 2009, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Currently working on:
    White Noise - Don Delillo

Lined up on the shelf:
    Freakonomics
    Mother Night - Vonnegut
    Slaughethouse-Five - Vonnegut
    Promised B that I'd read Atlas Shrugged at some point

Recently finished:
    The Road - Cormac McCarthy</div>

Cormac McCarthy is awesome. I liked Slaughterhouse Five too but wasn't in love with the other Vonnegut novel I read - Breakfast of Champions.

I tend to pick up older fiction (like a few years old) from bookstore sale tables. I just look for something that earned a lot of praise from noteworthy reviewers, and seems interesting. You can find some pretty amazing books that way, for great prices.
    Kicking ass is my comfort food

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jinx Me @ Dec 21 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Cormac McCarthy is awesome. I liked Slaughterhouse Five too but wasn't in love with the other Vonnegut novel I read - Breakfast of Champions.</div>

You might like Cat's Cradle as well. I didn't care for Vonnegut's other work much either. Finishing Timequake nearly killed me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logo @ Dec 21 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You might like Cat's Cradle as well. I didn't care for Vonnegut's other work much either. Finishing Timequake nearly killed me.</div>
    I was just about the recommend that. Cat's Cradle is my favorite Vonnegut book. Better than Slaughterhouse Five imo.

I've only been reading philosophy lately, but now that the term is officially over (grades submitted!) hopefully I will have some time to relax and read some fiction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hegel's Philosophy of History
    Proust's In Search of Lost Time (on Book III now)
    YOU'RE WRONG.

READ OLD M&M ARTICLES.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ignored Users List (if you are on this, I can't see your posts):

SmackThat

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (To add someone to your Ignored Users list, go to My Controls > Manage Ignored Users)

Purus Labs Representative
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm reading Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon (again).It's a comic book series but a damn good one at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preacher_(comics)

Last book I read was a Hard Case Crime novel by Andrew Vacchs.Just about any novel from this imprint should provide for a night's entertainmentmost are 200 pages or so,all of them have a strong pulp fiction noir feel to them.The most well known and classic kick ass crime/noir novelists have contributed new work e.g. Donald Westlake,Mickey Spillane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_case_crime
    Pile of data cannot be equated to the irrefutable truth, no more than a mountain of shit can be scaled to bring one closer to enlightenment.

No bro-science at Purus because we heart Pubmed and all its peer reviewed studies just too damn much to cheat you with overblown hype.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nightop @ Dec 21 2009, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Hegel's Philosophy of History</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Colin @ Dec 21 2009, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I'm reading Preacher by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon (again).It's a comic book series but a damn good one at that.</div>

Who said we don't have diversity here... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.Kite @ Dec 21 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I was just about the recommend that. Cat's Cradle is my favorite Vonnegut book. Better than Slaughterhouse Five imo.</div>

I completely agree. It was the first one I read. Needless to say I was supremely let down by his other works. I started Galapagos and couldn't finish it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marc, I'd highly recommend 4 Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss to you. I've noticed you could probably apply a LOT of what that book teaches to iFitport (and basically run it while getting served drinks by naked supermodels on a beach in Maui).

As for me, 4 Hour Workweek and going to start on Gary Vee's Crush It soon. I try to keep it motivational.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robert J. Ringer - Million Dollar Habits

I saw it recommended on here actually. It was 2 bucks at amazon so I bought it. Good stuff, but nothing mind blowing yet.
    $5 off at iherb.com referral code: REV730

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I the only one that liked Timequake? I dig Vonnegut's writing style though, so I'll read his grocery list.

So nobody's read Super Freakonomics yet? Even though I'm in the midst of multiple books, I'll probably have to throw that in the mix...but it would be nice to have a review.

I've read some Tim Ferris, from his blog, and some excerpts from 4HWW, maybe I should read the whole thing.

Has anybody read any McInerney? Bright Lights Big City was the first book I've ever read the entirety in one sitting...couldn't put it down. Read it till 5 in the morning, pretty sure I didn't even stop for piss breaks. Not an epic wordsmith or anything, but just a good storyteller, similar style and content to Bret Easton Ellis. Actually picked up his book after Ellis talked about partying with him in Lunar Park.

Body of Evidence Blog

"If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up." -HST

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tim Ferris is a moron, his outlandish claims drive me nuts. Example:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/...ing-superhuman/
    <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Power is realising your strength, inner strength, controlling yourself.</span>

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">"Fall seven times, stand up eight." - Japanese proverb</span>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">IronArena.com</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"In Search of the Miraculous" by P. D. Ouspensky. Very heavy (at least for my tiny fragile little mind).

Also reading "Crime" by Irivine Welsh (one of my favourite authors - dirty, gritty, witty and very clever)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (razg @ Dec 22 2009, 05:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Tim Ferris is a moron, his outlandish claims drive me nuts. Example:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/...ing-superhuman/</div>

Yeah, I'll give you that antic. The whole 'workout for 2 hours and look like this' was pretty stupid and unrealistic. Granted, bar that, I like the other shit he teachers. He's actually pretty damn smart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (krazyj @ Dec 22 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, I'll give you that antic. The whole 'workout for 2 hours and look like this' was pretty stupid and unrealistic. Granted, bar that, I like the other shit he teachers. He's actually pretty damn smart.</div>

He's one of those averagely intelligent people who thinks he's some kind of genius.
    <span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">Power is realising your strength, inner strength, controlling yourself.</span>

<span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">"Fall seven times, stand up eight." - Japanese proverb</span>

<span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%">IronArena.com</span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I've been meaning to read Cormac McCarthy’s "The Road". Maybe I'll pick that up in the airport tomorrow for the trip. Anyone else read this?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Road
    Good read, like all his other stuff it paints a bleak picture, but it is very engaging

Thread Information