User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lose Weight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright I am trying to lean out and lose weight. I have always been a bigger guy from playing an offensive linemen in college at the weight of about 310-320 and now in strongman I usually compete at about 265-275 depending on what type of contest it is. I am just trying to lean out all together because I would like to actually like to see some definition. So I am trying to get some tips from you guys on how many calories a day I should be taking in, in a day? How much cardio should I do per day/week? Are there certain supplements I should take to aid this process?

My current stats:
    Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 270.9 lbs
    BF: 19%

So obviously I have the weight there to lose, I just want to lose the weight but still be able to maintain at least maintain my current strength levels. I am open to all ideas and input. Thanks guys.
    Powered by:
    Cozmarnutrition.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. Let me give you an answer that Lyle McDonald might answer you with

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/lylemcdonald-art.html btw

5 factors in losing weight, in order of importance

1) Calories (80-90% of maintence)
    2) Proten ~ 1.5g/lb
    3) Fats 20-25% total calories
    4) Carbs (subtract protien + fats from total)
    5) Training: various, read article

I prefer interval type training, broken up a few times a day.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Squarepusher has put forward good stuff. I would keep the protein a little higher IMO. Do not cut too fast otherwise you will eat into muscle too hard.

HIIT and low intensity, slow cardio are both good IMO, and I would do as much as you can without interfering in your training ie no overtraining.

The fatloss may do a lot more than your aesthetics, as you will carry less non-functional mass when you move, thus increase your absolute VO2max, which would have a cross over into your strongman work especially carry events.

J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys, I have read that. According to the article if I need to take in:

-10 cal/lb x 270 = 2700 cals a day
    Protein: 270 x .81 = 218.7 x 1.5 = 328.05 grams x 4 = 1312.2 cals a day
    Fat:2700 x .25 = 675 cals /9 = 75 grams
    Carb: 2700-1312.2-675 = 712.8 cals / 4 =178.2 grams

-12 cal/lb x 270 = 3240 cals a day
    Protein:270 x .81 = 218.7 x 1.5 = 328.05 grams x 4 = 1312.2 cals a day
    Fat:3240 x .25 = 810 cals / 9 = 90 grams
    Carb: 3240-1312.2-810 =1117.8 cals / w= 279 grams

Should I start out with the lower cal/lb ratio or the higher cal/lb ratio?

Also what are some good foods to be eating to keep things with in these totals.
    Powered by:
    Cozmarnutrition.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrandonClements @ Nov 3 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks guys, I have read that. According to the article if I need to take in:

-10 cal/lb x 270 = 2700 cals a day
    Protein: 270 x .81 = 218.7 x 1.5 = 328.05 grams x 4 = 1312.2 cals a day
    Fat:2700 x .25 = 675 cals /9 = 75 grams
    Carb: 2700-1312.2-675 = 712.8 cals / 4 =178.2 grams

-12 cal/lb x 270 = 3240 cals a day
    Protein:270 x .81 = 218.7 x 1.5 = 328.05 grams x 4 = 1312.2 cals a day
    Fat:3240 x .25 = 810 cals / 9 = 90 grams
    Carb: 3240-1312.2-810 =1117.8 cals / w= 279 grams

Should I start out with the lower cal/lb ratio or the higher cal/lb ratio?

Also what are some good foods to be eating to keep things with in these totals.</div>

Wow nice work. I suggest starting with the lower one, but if you feel like you are suffering too much, raise it up to the first one (higher cal one).

Regarding foods, good question. I would always suggest high nutrient foods, such and vegetables/fruits, meats, nuts and for fats, EV Olive Oil, Coconut Oil (my fav), and pop a few fish oils a day. Getting the max amount of nutrients with the lower calorie plan will help you overall be successful and healthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I honestly don't think you need to overcomplicate matters in your case. You aren't trying to get to 'freaky lean' single digit bf numbers so just keep lifting heavy, but lower volume, do some HIIT, do some LI cardio, lower carbs (but don't drop them completely), and focus on eating clean, high protein and moderate (and healthy) fat diet, with plenty of fibre and water.

I know frustose is supposedly the enemy, but whenever I need to drop a few pounds I just cut out starchy carbs and my carbs all come from low GI fruits and whatever carbs are in the dairy I consume (which is yogurt and cottage cheese mainly, and some feta). Works great.

Otherwise, just eat lots of protein, don't gorge yourself (unless it's on very high volume and lower cal meals), allow yourself a carby meal on the weekend, and use common sense, as I'm sure you would... ie, don't starve yourself, if you feel very weak or lightheaded then eat something, train with protein in your belly, allow yourself to feel hungry for more than 5 minutes ever so often, etc.

Listen to your body. Let yourself get hungry sometimes but not to an extreme. I find the above-mentioned approach of eating a lowish carb diet (without counting carbs) keeps blood sugar level and prevents that extreme weakness and fogginess that comes with extremely low carb diets.

Bottom line is, your metabolism is high, and you don't have to take extreme measures to lose fat, you're not trying to 'trick' your body into letting go of stores it desperately needs to maintain health and hormonal balance. It doesn't have to be a complicated or overly analyzed process, imo, especially if you aren't in a huge rush for immediate results.
    Kicking ass is my comfort food

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah what Jinx said.

Personally I'd say start closer to maintenance, add in cardio on off days or after you workout. See how that pans out for the first week or two. Start eliminating carbs/extra cals in a progressive manner.

With the closer to maintenance cals you can try pushing a large portion of them around your workout ex. after. Problem with doing this with less cals is you may become hungry at other times of the day and wish to have more to eat. Otherwise timing can help.

Increase the frequency of your training by either adding in cardio or splitting up workouts in that case add in cardio after.

Lift heavy, to help your strength

Use negatives if you wish to help preserve muscle (particularly if you want to shed weight fast)

Eat more protein & fat 25-30% - you got that covered

Eat more salad and drink more water (particularly when you get hungry), find/create a vinaigrette you like - Unless you like plain vinegar and salt/pepper like me

EDIT: starting with higher cals also allows one to reap rewards while things are easy. ex your foods don't have to change much - you could probably still get away with lean ground beef etc. But once you need the lower cals to make the gains your food choices become limited to very lean meats (well mine do otherwise I can't make the macro ratios). It's also nice to be able to afford the luxury of a bit of honey or maple syrup on you oatmeal too! - another thing that I have to drop when going lower.
    "In moments of weakness, the myth of the extraordinary provides the excuse... to quit."
    "Even at best talent remains a constant, and those who rely upon that gift alone, without developing further, peak quickly and soon fade to obscurity."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice from Reven, but I doubt you'll need to worry about eating lean beef no matter where you are in your diet, with your goals (unless I'm misunderstanding your goals). Worry more about high GI and starchy carbs then moderate fat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate all the feed back and will slowly digest it and put it in to work. I do eat clean but I am taking in 5,000-7,000 calories a day (6-7 meals a day), just depends on what contest I am preparing for. Most of the time I do not gain weight of these diets, just usually maintain my current weight. All these diets were professionally made up by Anthony Ricciuto of NutritionXP3.com. So I know this guys knows his stuff and it worked great for me and I would love to use him again I just don't have the money to get one made for this. I have two diet plans a 4,500-5,000 a day and a 6,100-7,000 a day programs.

I would really like to get my weight down to about 240 or so. How much cardio would you guys say I need to do in about a week? I currently will do between 4-5 30 minute cardio sessions a week.

I will work on a new diet plan and you guys can critique it. I am new to the whole losing weight game. So I greatly appreciate everyone's feedback. If I seem stupid on this stuff its just because I do not understand this stuff fully yet and still new to the game.
    Powered by:
    Cozmarnutrition.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out points 7 & 10 from Plateau Busters by: Kelly Baggett, http://www.mindandmuscle.net/articles/kell...ters?page=0%2C1

Although not originally written for shedding fat, both are excellent methods. Point 10 answers your question, as did Josh above. I don't think there is an exact rule as it depends on how much other activity you're doing and how your conditioning/recovery is.

The closer to maintenance the more aggressive you can be, ex twice per day/HIIT. The more of a deficit you run the easier overtraining becomes.

Then again, that is if you are concerned about overtraining. If it starts to occur you can easily reverse the process by backing off the cal deficit and training intensity for a few weeks and resume. This can also a good strategy for weight loss if you become stuck.

Also take note that with a deficit getting sick is also easier, especially if you're using an intense routine. Catching the flu can really screw up your dieting/training, so if you're sick now don't start dieting.
    "In moments of weakness, the myth of the extraordinary provides the excuse... to quit."
    "Even at best talent remains a constant, and those who rely upon that gift alone, without developing further, peak quickly and soon fade to obscurity."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're currently eating that much, I think you could keep everything the same just reduce your calories, and you'll see your weight drop.

Anthony R. is the shiz, good to hear you're getting good advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what I am thinking my diet wise.

Day 1:
    Breakfast:

<u>3 Scoops protein powder</u>
    Cal:336
    Pro:72
    Carb:6
    Fat:3
    <u>1.5 Cups Oatmeal Dry</u>
    Cal:445.1
    Pro:16.4
    Carb:81.8
    Fat:9
    <u>.5 Cup Strawberries</u>
    Cal:21.6
    Pro:0
    Carb:5
    Fat:0

Morning Snack:
    <u>8oz. Chicken Breast</u>
    Cal:374
    Pro:70
    Carb:0
    Fat:8
    <u>2 Cup Broccoli</u>
    Cal:49.2
    Pro:5.2
    Carb:9.2
    <u>1.5 Cup Brown Rice (long grain)</u>
    Cal:324.6
    Pro:7.5
    Carb:67.1
    Fat:2.6

Lunch:

<u>1 Cup Broccoli</u>
    Cal:24.6
    Pro:2.6
    Carb:4.6
    <u>8 oz Talapia</u>
    Cal:215.2
    Pro:37.2
    Carb:2.7
    Fat:6.1
    <u>1 TBSP PB</u>
    Cal:94.8
    Pro:4.0
    Carb:3.0
    Fat:8.1
    <u>Fish Oil</u>

Afternoon Snack:
    <u>Fish Oil</u>
    <u>3 Scoops Protein Powder</u>
    <u>1 TBSP PB</u>

Dinner:
    <u>Fish Oil</u>
    1 TBSP PB
    <u>8 oz Talapia</u>
    Cal:215.2
    Pro:37.2
    Carb:2.7
    Fat:6.1
    <u>1 Cup Broccoli</u>
    Cal:24.6
    Pro:2.6
    Carb:4.6

Evening Snack:
    <u>6 Hard Boiled Eggs</u>
    Cal:465
    Pro:37.7
    Carb:3.3
    <u>1 TBSP</u>
    <u>Fish Oil</u>

Total cals at 3374
    %Protein=44.75
    %Carbs=24.37
    %Fat=32.56

Day 2:
    Breakfast:

<u>1.5 Cup Oatmeal</u>
    Cal:445.1
    Pro:16.4
    Carb:81.8
    Fat:9
    <u>.5 cup blueberries</u>
    Cal:40.3
    Carb:10.1

Morning Snack:
    <u>1 Cup Sliced Cucumber</u>
    Cal:13.5
    Carb:2.8
    <u>8 oz Chicken Breast</u>
    Cal:374
    Pro:70
    Fat:8
    <u>1.5 cup yam</u>
    Cal:236.6
    Pro:3.0
    Carb:56.3

Lunch:
    <u>3 scoops protein powder</u>
    <u>Fish Oil</u>
    <u>1 TBSP PB</u>

Afternoon Snack:
    <u>Fish Oil</u>
    <u>8 oz Salmon</u>
    Cal:322
    Pro:44.9
    Fat:14.3
    <u>2 Cup Broccoli</u>
    <u>1 TBPS PB</u>

Dinner:
    <u>Fish Oil</u>
    <u>1 TBSP PB</u>

Evening Snack:
    <u>2 Cup Broccoli</u>
    <u>Fish Oil</u>
    <u>8 oz Salmon</u>
    Cal:322
    Pro:44.9
    Fat:14.3
    <u>1 TBSP PB</u>

Total Cals 3403
    %Protein=49.79
    %Carbs=23.5
    %Fat=28.45

I would like to get these both down to about 2800. I just took previous diets and kind of freestyled my own. Please let me know of stuff to take out or some other ideas. I appreciate any and all feed back guys.