User Tag List

Page 1 of 32 123 11 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen up poop-smacks, I have something to say....

I am a little bit fat, and I ashamedly have been for a couple or three years now. It's something that has just kinda slowly slipped up on me. Excuses, excuses, I know. But what makes it worse is that I know better. I am a health care professional and I got a bachelor's degree in Nutrition before that too! I have never been really lean compared to lean athletes, but I was never a chunky guy either. I am 32 and am "normal" for my age but that's not good enough anymore. I have a young kid and another one on the way but that's no excuse either. I run a business but it doesn't take more than 40-44 hours per week so that's no excuse either. It's cold here in the winters but that's no excuse either.

I eat plenty of fruits and vegetables...but I sure like my dessert too, and this is no good explanation either.

If you guys will allow me, I would like more of a "support group" than actual dieting/training advice. I will report on here every couple days or so and tell you how it's going. I will weight myself on my digital scales at work. I'll spare you all the little details of my training/diet history and all for now, but I'll probably throw in a lot of info in my future posts if that's ok.

I put this in the diet section because I thought that was much more relevant that training. I train, I just need to cut back on the wrong types of food.

My starting weight is approx 214. I have gone up to 218 the last couple winters. I always lose a few lbs in the summer but it's not enough anymore just to do that. My "good weight" is probably around 200 lbs. That would be a good start at least. In my early 20's I was more like 195 in the summers, and even then I had the ability to probably get down to 190. So we shall see where this takes us.

Is it ok if I start a thread here and kinda keep it going? Oh, today is June 28, 2008 so this is my starting point.

2. Likes Ankita Wadhwa liked this post
    Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck.

I have dropped about 12 pounds so far in a month a half or maybe less...I forget. No real starting milestone, because I made the conscious decision that I will change the way I eat in general, not as a "diet".

Weekdays I keep things low carb, no more than 50-100 gr. Most days is closer to 50. Calories around 1800.

Fat loss for the most part has been VAT. I'm down two pant sizes but I still only have a 3 pack (nowhere near a 6 pack, just in between a 2 and a 4).

Weekends I'm a bit more liberal with carbs and may have a drink or four. Even pizza at times with the kids.

Sometimes I get a craving for sweets, in those occasions I go for a little piece of dark chocolate. I enjoy every second of it. Sugar-free gum comes in handy as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ninja' post='495230' date='Jul 28 2008, 12:37 PM
    I got a bachelor's degree in Nutrition before that too!
    Haha, I'm sorry. I'm an ass.

Support group you want and support group you'll get. What is your plan of action on the diet front.
    <span style="font-family:Trebuchet Ms"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">"Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of." -Anonymous-</span></span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chemgoddess1 @ Nov 18 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So as many of you know my fitness of choice is my pole.</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Section 8 @ Nov 5 2009, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Know how I know that's the problem? Because, when you're not on drugs, you hate your life. But wait, there's more: when you are on drugs, you hate your life. From this I draw the conclusion that the problem is that you hate your life.</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wise Male Model @ Oct 7 2009, 11:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>... tell her that her hair smells like an angel's breath after eating honey and flowers and lavender and shit...</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maxhealth @ Jan 2 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I just look for someone who I like talking to and who isn't ugly.</div> Or fat, for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bachovias, no offence taken, you guys can have fun with me if you want. I'm easy going and I'm the one who stuck my neck out here and I'm the one who has crammed everything down my own pie-hole.

Diet plan is basically to not eat much junk food/desserts, to watch overall portion sizes, cut back on chocolate in general, and not eat too much late in the evenings. I'm not really into an exact ratio or carbs/fats/proteins necessarily, although naturally I will have to watch the carb/fat intake while not dropping the protein. I'm also definitely NOT into using any kind of stimulants. I just don't like that approach.

Oh, with bioelectric impedance testing over the last couple of years a fellow chiropractor uses, I would currently estimate my bodyfat to be about 21.5-22%. I was 23.3% two winters ago and 21.5% last summer after losing about 6 lbs between the two readings ( so maybe a bit of the summer loss was water, I'm not sure, I'm just telling you what the machine told me) I believe the lowest I have ever been would have been 16% when I was ages 18-20 working as a lifeguard in the summers. I had a 4 pack more-or-less at that level. I'm 5'11 barefooted, medium bone structure.

Oh, among my athletic goals, I would like to be able to run more than 1/2 mile without getting winded again, and wouldlike to increase my vertical jump a couple of inches too. I can currently get about 3 inches up on a basketball rim with a good warm-up. Of course I want to be stronger/more muscular, etc, but I'm not going to get a lot stronger while losing weight so I'll spare you that rhetoric.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're really interested in an accurate body fat % reading, go with a caliper test. BIA is notoriously inaccurate, especially if your hydration levels aren't consistent.

I bet cleaning up your diet a little and the increase in activity alone will allow you to drop a modest amount of fat. I've seen people drop 10lbs of fat in a few months just from switching from soda to water.

Anyway, good luck, and post often, it'll help keep you accountable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo' post='495288' date='Jul 28 2008, 02:33 PM
    If you're really interested in an accurate body fat % reading, go with a caliper test. BIA is notoriously inaccurate, especially if your hydration levels aren't consistent.
    Yeah so they say.... That is why I posted a question regarding this in general training. What do you use to convert the numbers as I have used several different methods and I get numbers that are less reliable than my original guess. I've tried exrx.net's calculator FYI tells me I'm at 6.5% BF.... more like 6.5 till im at 6%.
    "In moments of weakness, the myth of the extraordinary provides the excuse... to quit."
    "Even at best talent remains a constant, and those who rely upon that gift alone, without developing further, peak quickly and soon fade to obscurity."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday after getting all motivated, I was off to a mediocre start. I got home from work and my wife had made a big blackberry pie with berries we picked over the weekend at my parents' place. I was handed porkburgers to grill and so I did my manly duty. Used a whole wheat bun with onion and tomato, ate fried potatoes from the garden that had a small amount of melted cheese on them, and some sliced plain cucumbers. But then the blackberry pie and a LOT of ice cream attacked. Some disciplined guy I am. Did take a medium-hard 25 minute bike ride and walked a little over a mile before it got dark. As of this morning I am getting ready to eat my usualy oatmeal (plain quick oats, skim milk, banana) for breakfast. I'll keep you posted eh.

I weigh myself on digital scales in my office, but I am not going to report weight everytime I step on them. I will report weight about 2X per week. Yesterday, with nobody else in the office but me I stripped down to my briefs to discover that my clothing is approx 4 lbs (shoes, slacks, shirt and tie, socks). I have two scales and they both said the same thing. So the weight I will report is 4lbs less that what the scale says.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using BIA bodyfat testing today, the reading was 20.2% with my BMI at 29.9. I know the accuracy could be off a bit, but at least it's the same machine and I am the same me, so the reliability of % change over time should be decent I hope. I was told by "my chiropractor" to try to have the same amount of bowel and bladder fullness each time I took a reading because even that can change it. Also, I have to hold my arms both straight and even try to have about the same amount of skin touching under my armpits each time in order to really try to make it accurate. I could purchase some calipers but for right now I am going to use the scale, mirror, and electrical testing.

Ok dang it, you guys have to keep me motivated. If I blow my diet it's your fault.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For your sweet cravings...go for the taste of it...convince yourself that it's only a taste craving (this from someone who LOVES pie, and cheesecake)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for what ozzman just said.

Also, you might already know this; but I'd ditch the quick oats and replace them with the "old fashioned" oats. There's a bit of a difference in glycemic index between the two.

Ok dang it, you guys have to keep me motivated. If I blow my diet it's your fault.

If you keep messing up, all the other kids will make fun of you.

How's that? lol
    “When mental energy is allowed to follow the line of least resistance and to fall into easy channels, it is called weakness” -James Allen

"That by which a man is overcome, by this he is enslaved." 2 Peter 2:19

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ((Vibe))' post='495549' date='Jul 29 2008, 10:59 AM
    Also, you might already know this; but I'd ditch the quick oats and replace them with the "old fashioned" oats. There's a bit of a difference in glycemic index between the two.

No, the soluble fiber in oats prevents gastric emptying regardless of particle size -- this might be true of other grains, but not with oats AFAIK.

Particle size of wheat, maize, and oat test meals: effects on plasma glucose and insulin responses and on the rate of starch digestion in vitro.

Heaton KW, Marcus SN, Emmett PM, Bolton CH.

University Department of Medicine, Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK.

When normal volunteers ate isocaloric wheat-based meals, their plasma insulin responses (peak concentration and area under curve) increased stepwise: whole grains less than cracked grains less than coarse flour less than fine flour. Insulin responses were also greater with fine maizemeal than with whole or cracked maize grains but were similar with whole groats, rolled oats, and fine oatmeal. The peak-to-nadir swing of plasma glucose was greater with wheat flour than with cracked or whole grains. In vitro starch hydrolysis by pancreatic amylase was faster with decreasing particle size with all three cereals. Correlation with the in vivo data was imperfect. Oat-based meals evoked smaller glucose and insulin responses than wheat- or maize-based meals. Particle size influences the digestion rate and consequent metabolic effects of wheat and maize but not oats. The increased insulin response to finely ground flour may be relevant to the etiology of diseases associated with hyperinsulinemia and to the management of diabetes.

PMID: 2451416 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

FFT here. -- See tables 3 and 4, where oat flour actually produced less of an insulin response and the exact same glycemic response as rolled oats and whole oats.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ninja' post='495491' date='Jul 29 2008, 09:18 AM
    Yesterday after getting all motivated, I was off to a mediocre start. I got home from work and my wife had made a big blackberry pie with berries we picked over the weekend at my parents' place. I was handed porkburgers to grill and so I did my manly duty. Used a whole wheat bun with onion and tomato, ate fried potatoes from the garden that had a small amount of melted cheese on them, and some sliced plain cucumbers. But then the blackberry pie and a LOT of ice cream attacked. Some disciplined guy I am. Did take a medium-hard 25 minute bike ride and walked a little over a mile before it got dark. As of this morning I am getting ready to eat my usualy oatmeal (plain quick oats, skim milk, banana) for breakfast. I'll keep you posted eh.
    If you mess up again I'm going to change your username to Bloodninja and your signature to "I put on my robe and wizard's hat."

Hey, screw ups happen. I like what Charles Staley says about screwing up: "If you cheat: get right back on track. A lot of people think after cheating - I've blown it - so I might as well REALLY blow it! Let me ask you - if you get a flat tire do you get out of your car and slash the other three? Hey, you have a flat tire - might as well have four, right?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ninja' post='495646' date='Jul 29 2008, 06:03 PM
    Thanks for all the oat info. I eat about 10 bowls of oatmeal/cereal per week. Probably 12 actually. So I have to watch that stuff, even making sure my bowls aren't too big and I wait until I'm hungry before I eat. Those high carb cereals can get to you too if you let them. I'll probably stick with quick oats--I microwave oatmeal and don't get it real hot or cook it very long so the quick oats are very much more palatable. So far today I've been a cereal freak--three bowls of either oatmeal or oat/cereal combo with banana in one town and blueberries in the other two bowls. Dinner is yet to come....and physical activity too.

Added: Biked to the gym (1.5 miles), did a HIT workout with basic full body movements, biked back, walked about 1.5 miles. Earlier dinner was porkburger, WW bun, onion and tomato on it, fried potatoes. Post workout late meal: cereal/oats with blueberries, piece of blackberry pie, extra skim milk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would you clarify for me:

Are you trying to get relatively lean( <15%) or moderately ripped (<10%BF)?
    <span style="font-family:Trebuchet Ms"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">"Bad habits are like a comfortable bed, easy to get into, but hard to get out of." -Anonymous-</span></span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chemgoddess1 @ Nov 18 2009, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>So as many of you know my fitness of choice is my pole.</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Section 8 @ Nov 5 2009, 02:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Know how I know that's the problem? Because, when you're not on drugs, you hate your life. But wait, there's more: when you are on drugs, you hate your life. From this I draw the conclusion that the problem is that you hate your life.</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wise Male Model @ Oct 7 2009, 11:14 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>... tell her that her hair smells like an angel's breath after eating honey and flowers and lavender and shit...</div><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maxhealth @ Jan 2 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I just look for someone who I like talking to and who isn't ugly.</div> Or fat, for that matter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching this thread. as long as you post in it and I see it in the new posts, i'll probably read it

I find I don't monitor things to closely, rather I set a goal of exercise and a goal of eating a certain amount less, at the end of a period of time I check progress (based on strength, endurance and tape measure) then adjust as needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ninja' post='495491' date='Jul 29 2008, 06:18 AM
    I was handed porkburgers to grill and so I did my manly duty.
    what the hell is a porkburger? and don't tell me I'm alone on this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JENNuh' post='495750' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:24 AM
    what the hell is a porkburger? and don't tell me I'm alone on this one.

Uh....a hamburger made with ground pork instead of ground beef.

On a side note, I made up oatmeal today using a scoop of vanilla whey protein for flavor. Not too bad taste wise and it helps with my protein intake.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I thought when I said porkburger it would get a rise out of someone. Where I grew up in southern IL they are a big deal--served at our home football games, etc. Lots of pig farmers around. Now where I am in northern IN they are almost unheard of except we get a lot of meat from an Amish community so they have them. I don't particularly look for them, but my wife picked some up. They are a bit fattier and almost sweet tasting.

Bachovas: I am not going for the 10% stuff...yet. Like I said, I bet I have never been under 15%. So initially 17% will be a shorter term goal, then probably 15%. I'll see how my energy and strength levels and caloric needs change at those levels.

Today so far....don't flog me. Breakfast watermelon and skim milk. Lunch....pizza buffet! My wife came over to the office and helped and wanted to go there. I loaded up on salad and fruit at the salad bar, and had 4 larger pieces of pizza and a small sub sandwhich so I didn't blow it too much, considering breakfast was probably only about 200-250 calories. I weighed 217 before lunch and 220 after! (started at 218 weighed in the morning a couple days ago).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So,...you're on the pizza buffet diet?

Just givin' you a hard time.
    The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lazar' post='495874' date='Jul 30 2008, 03:56 PM
    So,...you're on the pizza buffet diet?

Just givin' you a hard time.

You're right on, I've got to watch overdoing stuff like that. Basically I will lose weight on less than 3,000 calories per day. I would say that right now I am at probably 1,600 or so after lunch. Dinner and post-dinner eating is always what makes or breaks me it seems. I won't do any weights tonight since I did bench, cable row, dumbell deadlifts and light arm work last night. I may hit a bike ride. We'll see. The wife says I have to do some painting so I'll see. I've been biking a lot lately so a day off may be good anyway. Overall I'm probably shooting for a lb per week loss while eating a "normal' diet. Oh, and my supplements--not much. Usually one flax-oil capsule per day and a multi-vitamin that has 500 mg Vit C and other vitamins, especially B-vitamins. I also make probably 1-2 protein shakes per week at work with whey, 2 bananas, and skim milk. This takes the place of a bowl of oatmeal/cereal usually. Yes I'm crazy because I often eat cereal for lunch just because I like it and it is easy to make. I just bring a box of cereal and oats to work each week, get a gallon of skim milk across the street, and I'm set except for bringing some fruit each day. All water I drink is reverse-osmosis at home and at my office both.

Thread Information