User Tag List

Thread: speed reading

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lately I've been getting pretty frustrated with my reading ability. I go through texts and don't absorb anything out of them. So, I've been spending a little bit of time reading about speed reading lately.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_reading

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Speed_reading

A really fun software I've been using to read PDF's and ebooks is Dictator

What do you all think about speed reading? Who has had experience with it, and actually gave it a decent attempt? what methods worked, didn't work, any discussion of cognitively and neurologically what is going on when someone is speedreading as opposed to normal unsystematic reading?
    A short Haiku about myself:
    <blockquote>How handsome I am
    It is obvious to see
    I have much free time </blockquote>
    How are you limiting yourself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think speed reading will increase how much you absorb, per se. Its mostly good for skipping all the repetitive shit in books.

Also, if you're reading auditorily in your head, instead of visually, you might be going slower than your comprehension rate. That can be a waste of time. Although part of retention is just the time spent with the material in your head. If you condense 5hs of reading down into 30 minutes, its a good idea to use part of the time saved to read the thing again or write down an outline of what you read or something.

I also notice to read stuff really fast requires more of your concentration. Music or something really slows me down. Its actually a really weird sensation to be completely absorbed in the material, like your brain is being fully used for the first time.

Its also pretty worthless for fiction/literature type reading, or for really technical stuff. I guess i mostly use it for popular non-fiction stuff, which has the most fluff in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't not speed read, and it's annoying as shit sometimes. I could finish a text in English class before everyone else and tell you the plot, but I'd usually miss questions about specifics I thought were irrelevant. It also makes precise dictation incredibly difficult. Be careful what you wish for.
    <span style="color:#660000"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow">"... </span></span></span><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><span style="color:#8b0000">fresh bread, which deforms elastically is not frangible." --Wikipedia</span></span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always thought about trying it, infact I just did it for the responses in this thread. It works well for internet style shit, but trying to learn something novel, or enjoying a book would be next to impossible imo. Not to mention I have a going theory that the speed thinking/reading/typing we all do on AIM and via texts is making me retarded. The longer I stay on AIM, the less sense I make. That, along with crazy word substitutions. I could see it becoming a bad habit, difficult to decipher, and hard to shake. Personally I'm trying to slow the fuck down again and reacquire the skill set I learned early one from reading epic novels when I was a kid.
    Take care of your body with steadfast fidelity. The soul must see through these eyes alone, and if they are dim, the whole world is clouded. ~Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. ~Krishnamurti

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy. ~Voltaire

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was younger I like Frang, could only speed read. Actually I could also basically memorize the book as well if it was interesting to me. I agree though, its very easy to pass through very important material and not know it. For novels, if you can do it and retain, then go for it. For other text, probably not that useful as the potential to pass over information is very high.
    Now.
    Not now.
    And now.
    Now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have tried in on three seperate occasions

I look at tons of info everday so this could be very benefical if i were able to speed read and be able to comprehend

The latest program i have tried is the Evelyn Wood program

The ultimate objective with this program is to read vertically and rely on visualization and not silent reading as we have often been taught

Good luck

thanks

Coach Hale

www.maxcondition.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been trying all sorts of methods lately. what is funny is that initially, my comprehension is high, but as I get more and more used to the methods, my mind starts to take a back seat to the reading and I just start glazing like I normally do over a boring text. If I switch up methods every once and a while, this keeps me concentrating and I can keep to it. what is great is that my casual reading speed has risen from about 250 wpm to around 500 in the past few days. I'm flying through books and readings, and my comprehension is much much higher than it used to be.

I guess what the teachers have been saying to me all along has been true, I'm just not challenging myself, thats why I couldn't concentrate!
    It is obvious to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took evelyn wood decades ago and found it valuable for two reasons.

1. They emphasize a system e.g. if you want to read a textbook chapter you would A. pre-read the material by looking at all the section headings, looking at all the picture captions, then B. actually do the reading and then C. review the material by quickly going over the highlights again. This takes less time then you might think and the repetition is very helpful for retention.

2. The speed reading drills/techniques I found helpful. I could care less if vertical reading is possible or not, but I did many of the drills regularly and my reading speed went way up.

NB: I'm not necessarily advocating evelyn wood as I imagine there are free resources on the web where you could accomplish many of the same things.
    <span style="color:#FF0000"><span style="font-family:Arial Black">THEORY=/REAL WORLD</span></span>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that speed reading actually makes me read slower, since I read too fast and have to read lines over again.

I just try to get interested in the reading any way I can, makes it go faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little off topic:

After practicing speed reading for a while, I settled on only getting a minor increase in my reading speed, but my comprehension is much, much better. Weird thing: I felt kind of guilty working harder for comprehension, as if I didn't deserve the understanding I was achieving. I've just got so many friends who naturally have high reading speeds and comprehension, It seemed as if I was just a poser, going through outside help to increase my own performance. I meantioned this sentiment to a friend of mine, and they suggested reading Mindset by Carol Dweck.

This really changed my views on self-improvement and the potential for achievement.
    It is obvious to see

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me it didn't do me much good.

Generally, I found my reading speed depends on the difficulty of reading material. If I am reading a novel, I can zip through it, as if I am an actual speed reader. If I am reading a technical material, I can be lingering on one page for 30 minutes.
    No one

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very good at scanning over a newspaper or magazine and getting the main ideas/events very quickly like this. Or look over a few pages of a novel and see the gist of what is going on. But in a tougher academic setting where you are tested on minute details of the reading--this stuff won't work too well. I have always also been good at grasping general concepts but struggled more on specific details. I think that some people are wired to be a little better at one or the other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blase Deviant' post='440701' date='Dec 5 2007, 06:26 PM
    I find that speed reading actually makes me read slower, since I read too fast and have to read lines over again.

I just try to get interested in the reading any way I can, makes it go faster.

x2

i remember taking a speed reading course right before high school started

waste of time and money did not get any benefit out of it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed-reading accident. I hit a bookmark." -- Steven Wright

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um Id say... if you like reading (not just skimming) fiction, if you consider reading fiction a valuable part of your life, then my intution says stay the hell away. Unlearning is a lot harder than learning. Just a quick thought.
    Mind and Muscle:
    Even on the second day, the results were already incredible (once again). While sexual energy is higher, the feeling of urgency is greatly reduced. I no longer dream of marrying every average looking woman I look at. I speak with the confidence. I make eye contact. I am less tempted to try my luck with fat chicks. etc, etc, etc.

Thread Information